This impressive roasted lamb with Mediterranean flavours is perfect for special occasion or holiday dinners.
Tip: To butterfly a boneless leg of lamb. Lay meat on work surface with short side facing you. Starting from center and without slicing all the way through, make horizontal slices and then open it up like a book to create more surface area for the stuffing. Pound meat to even thickness with meat mallet.
Stuffed Leg of Lamb:
- 1 pkg (7 oz) Casbah® Organic Quinoa
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced fennel
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup (60mL) raisins
- 1/4 cup (60mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper divided
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 4 to 5 lb boneless leg of lamb, butterflied and trimmed of excess fat
Herbed Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- Stuffed Leg of Lamb: Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet set over medium heat. Cook fennel, carrot, shallot and garlic for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in green olives and raisins. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth. Raisins will soak up the broth. Remove from heat. Stir in quinoa, mint, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Pat lamb dry with paper towel. Lay flat, fat side out, on clean work surface. Season inside of meat with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Add 1 cup stuffing to centre of lamb, leaving a 1-inch border. Tightly roll into log shape and tie with butcher string to secure. Rub lamb with remaining 1 tbsp oil, fennel seeds and remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer to roasting pan fitted with rack. Roast for 55 minutes for medium rare or until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Alternatively, cook to preferred doneness. Transfer to cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
- Herbed Yogurt Sauce: Stir together yogurt, parsley, mint, dill, mustard, oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Remove string from roast and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Serve with yogurt sauce.