Spiced with Moroccan flavors, meaty eggplant are cooked until tender and served over couscous for a wonderful vegetarian meal.
Tip: Substitute raisins with currants.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pkg (7 oz) Casbah® Organic Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small eggplants, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and paprika
- 1/4 tsp each ground pepper
- Pinch ground cinnamon and chili flakes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped fresh mint and parsley
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat. Cook eggplant and salt for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, chilli flakes and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Stir in chickpeas and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and raisins; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until eggplant is very tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions.
- Mix together yogurt, mint and parsley.
- Serve stewed eggplant over couscous. Top with yogurt, mint, parsley, pomegranate seeds and almonds.