This Middle Eastern-inspired dish can be served as a vegan appetizer or side dish.
- If you get can’t find baby eggplant, use small eggplant.
- Bread crump, olive oil and parsley may be combined, topped and toasted on eggplant for variation of texture
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 40
- 1/2 pkg (3 oz) Casbah® Organic Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil Couscous
- 4 baby eggplants (each about 3-4 oz)
- 1 tbsp salt, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika and pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring 1/4 cup water to boil; stir in couscous and cover. Steam for 5 minutes.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch thick “shell”. Reserve scooped out eggplant for stuffing. Season shells with 1/4 tsp salt and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Arrange shells, flesh side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Season reserved flesh with remaining salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Rinse flesh and squeeze out excess water.
- Heat oil in skillet set over medium heat. Cook eggplant, onion, pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika and pepper for 5 minutes or until eggplant is tender; toss with couscous and lemon juice.
- Flip eggplant shells on baking sheet and spoon couscous filling inside; bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until eggplant filling is heated through. Arrange eggplants on platter.
- Tahini Sauce: Whisk together tahini paste, lemon zest, lemon juice and mint. Gradually, whisk in 2 tbsp water. Stir in garlic, salt and cayenne. Drizzle over eggplant.